Easy, useful, and potentially even fun
There are numerous tools and apps to set up a conference call between multiple people. From video calls to audio-teleconferencing, getting started with free conference calling has never been easier.
We have previously illustrated how to use Zoom to host a meeting. In this article, we will discuss several additional programs and apps for you to choose the best conference call service for your needs.
Skype was purchased by Microsoft in 2011 and has since made significant changes to its features, user interface, and functionality.
If you don’t have a Skype account, create one now. Skype’s free version is available on tablets, PCs, Macs, and smartphones and enables you to:
- Talk face to face with up to 25 people.
- Send instant messages.
- Add up to 50 participants to a group chat.
- Make Skype calls to others on Skype.
- Share files (max 300MB) and screens.
- Add emojis to chats.
Set Up a Conference Call Using Skype
- Skype operates in a similar way to Zoom. Start with clicking on the Meet Now button under the top left bar navigation.
- The next screen will show you the join link for participants.
- Click the blue-button to Share invites with Skype contacts, via the link, Outlook Mail, and Gmail.
- When ready, click Start call. Make sure you turn on your video from the top right-hand side of the screen.
- You can also invite participants to join your meeting by clicking on the far-right icon next to the phone.
- Check off the contacts you want to invite to create a list of attendees. Note that the green button next to a contact’s image indicates who is currently logged into Skype.
- When you’ve finished adding attendees to your meeting invitation, click Done. If you forget someone, click the blue button to Invite more People.
- Click the video or audio icon to call those you invited to start your meeting.
Schedule a Skype Meeting On Mobile
- Download the mobile app from the Skype website.
- Sign in or create a new Skype account if you don’t already have one.
- Tap New Chat.
- Choose New Group.
- Enter a name for your group.
- If you want to add a photo for your group, tap the Picture button then the checkmark.
- Tap the Edit button to choose a color; then tap the right arrow to confirm.
- Add contacts by tapping the right arrow.
- Use Search to locate invitees from your contact list.
- Tap Done to create your group and then start chatting.
Create free video conferences with Talky for up to six people in just a few steps. There is no need to sign-up for an account and no payments or downloads are required.
To set up a conference call with Talky:
Choose and insert a name for your conference from the home page.
Review your video and audio settings, and that’s it. Once you are in your conference room, you can:
- Use text chat.
- Invite participants.
- Change your name.
- Lock your meeting room to keep out unwanted guests.
Be sure to enable your audio and video before clicking Join call. Tell those you invite to do the same.
GoToMeeting is considered by many to be one of the best conference call services. It also offers a free plan that many people don’t realize exists. Although the free version doesn’t have as many features as the paid option, it does work well to set up a quick conference call.
Hold conference calls for up to three people (including yourself) for up to 40 minutes. Other features include:
- Screen sharing
- Webcam support
- In-meeting chat
- Sharing links
- Browser-based and mobile meetings for Android and iOS
1. To set up a conference call, sign up for a free account. and you will get a free 14-day trial of the Pro version. The trial includes features such as drawing tools, meeting recording, key and mouse sharing, and mobile apps.
2. From your dashboard, click Set Up Your Room to start a one-time meeting.
3. Set up your conference room in the next step. Add a name in the Meeting link space. Choose your color, edit your user profile, and then click Save.
4. Click Create Meeting to set up your conference call. The next screen will show the Meeting ID, a join URL, a phone number to participate by phone, an Access Code, and the link for attendees to install the app.
5. You can also choose Copy Invitation to send it via email or messaging app. Edit the meeting to add co-organizers and decide whether to require a meeting password. The Audio tab is where you select the microphone you will use.
A conference call solution that integrates well with your calendar is Join.me. They offer a 14-day free trial of the Pro version that includes powerful features such as easy meeting scheduling and free conferencing with screen share.
After the trial, you will be able to set up a conference call with three users (including yourself), chat, transfer files, and screen share.
To set up your conference call, start a free trial by clicking the Get Started orange button on the home page. If you already have an account, log in.
- Decide if you want to set up your conference call from your computer or on a mobile device. For this article, we will use the desktop.
- To set up your video for a conference for the first time, click on the three dots and select Settings.
- Click on the Video tab and select your camera from the dropdown menu.
- After setting up your video, click the red X in the top left-hand corner of the Settings screen. During your meeting hover over and click the video icon to start your video instantly.
- Click the Invite bubble to invite others to your meeting. Copy the link and send it via a messaging app or an email.
- As each participant joins your call, you will see their picture or video bubble pop up. Respond to the pop-up to allow them to enter.
- When you share your screen, the bubbles will reduce in size and move over to the side to make room for what you are sharing.
- When you hover over someone’s bubble, you will see the controls for that person and can transfer the presenter role to them.
- You can also share mouse control, chat, send a file or remove someone from your meeting if they are disruptive.
- To end the conference, hover over your video bubble and click the icon to disconnect.
Which Is The Best Conference Call Service For You?
The conference calling tools described offer various features for different user needs. They are all also competing for your subscription.
Take your time to try them out and see which you prefer. They are all free or offer a 14-day free trial. You can even use more than one for different circumstances.