We know the pain of forgetting a lost password. If you only use a single administrator account and you forgot THE password, you’re dead. To preempt this scenario, Vista lets users create a password recovery disk. Since this is a preemptive tool, you need to do this while you are still logged in to Vista.
Remember, this is something everyone should do! If you forget your Administrator password in Vista, this would be the only way to get back into the system!
You will need a floppy disk or a USB flash drive to make a recovery disk. Follow the steps below on how to make it:
· Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts.
· In the User accounts Window click Create a password reset disk.
· The forgotten password wizard will now start. Click next.
· Select what drive you want to create your reset disk and click next.
· Type your current password and click next.
· After the wizard finishes creating the disk, click next and finish.
Now to use the disk in case you forgot your password follow the steps below:
In the log on screen when you have entered the incorrect password you will receive a message “The User name or password is incorrect”. Click OK then on the logon screen click Reset password.
The Password Reset Wizard will now start. Click next and insert your password reset disk. Select your reset disk and click next
· You will be asked to type your new password and a new password hint. Click next after typing your new password.
The wizard will complete and you can now log on to your computer using your new password.
Having the discipline to create recovery disks is the key. Keep your disks safe and secured as anyone who has a hold of them will be able to reset your password and then use it to login to your computer.
Ben shows you how it’s done.